Rhinoplasty is a procedure that cosmetic surgeons perform to change the appearance of a patient’s nose. The medical specialists do so by adjusting the size, angle, shape, and proportions of the nose. They might need to conduct this operation to correct deformities resulting from birth defects or severe injuries. Only then can the patient’s nose match the aesthetic features of the face. The procedure should be done in such a way that there are no breathing problems after its completion.
Revision Rhinoplasty – What is this surgical procedure?
Revision rhinoplasty is a corrective operation that cosmetic surgeons carry out on a patient’s nose to improve its functioning and appearance. They do so to rectify the issues and complications arising from the primary rhinoplasty surgery. The operation usually involves removing residual cartilage or properly arranging the bones on the bridge of the nose. Only then can they ensure the patient gets the natural-looking results he is looking for.
Preparation for the procedure
Following are the steps for preparing the surgery:
- Schedule a consultation with a qualified cosmetic surgeon to identify the complications arising from the initial rhinoplasty surgery.
- Determine what your goals are. Make sure they are realistic.
- Your surgeon will evaluate your appearance and give you an idea about what the surgery will bring. Certain health checks will be recommended.
- Ensure the surgeon conducting the operation has the necessary qualifications, skills, knowledge, and experience to avoid further complications.
- Gather all the necessary medical records, pre-operative photographs and operation summary of initial rhinoplasty operation from the first surgeon.
- Find out the costs of the procedure. These costs include the doctor fees, the clinic charges, and the expenses for the overall procedure.
- Know the time it will take for post-surgery recovery and expected side-effects.
On the day of the surgery
- It is an outpatient procedure.
- Local or general anesthesia is administered.
- Make sure someone accompanies you to the clinic on the day of the surgery.
- You need to wear a nasal splint for some days or week.
- You might experience bruising and swelling. This can be taken care of with medication.
- Your nose might swell up, but the inflammation will disappear after six months.
- Avoid any strenuous activity at least 3 to 6 weeks after the surgery.
Revision rhinoplasty surgery is necessary to correct the issues and complications from the initial nasal operation. It is generally recommended after the first rhinoplasty surgery. However, you must ensure you are completely healed from the first procedure. There is very little difference between the first and second procedures. However, make sure you choose a qualified and experienced doctor with proven track records in the field. You need to experience the same recovery time and possible side effects that happened in your first surgery. Be prepared.
Last but not least, follow all the instructions of your doctor for a successful recovery. Avoid any kind of strenuous activity for at least 3 to 6 weeks. In the event of any discomfort or complications, consult your doctor immediately.