Healthy teeth and gums are extremely important. This is the reason why you should regularly visit your dentist. According dental professionals, the most ideal is to visit a dental clinic in Sydney at least twice a year. Whether it’s your kids or you, visiting the dentist doesn’t always mean that you should go only because of toothache pain or if you need extraction.
Regular Dental Visits And Its Importance To Oral Health
Going to regular dental visits can keep your teeth and gums healthy, whether it’s for a checkup or for cleaning. During your visit, your overall oral health will be checked and troubled areas will be pointed out. Maintaining good oral hygiene is sometimes not enough. There are things that you cannot do at home that needs to be done by a dental professional.
What Happens During A Dental Visit
There are two types of regular dental visits. One is for checkup or examination, and the other is for cleaning or oral prophylaxis. If you are wondering what goes on during your dental visit, then here’s what you can expect that will be done from start to finish:
- Checking of Cavities. During your visit, your dental professional will be checking for any cavities. X-rays might be taken if needed since this can detect any cavities between your teeth. If you have plaque and it is not removed, it can harden and turn into tartar. Plaque and tartar buildup can cause different oral diseases.
- Gums Are Checked. Also, your gums will be checked. This is done using a special tool in order to measure the depth as well as the spaces between your gums and teeth. If you have healthy gums, the spaces are usually shallow. But if you have gum disease, the spaces are deeper.
- Further Examination for Other Dental Issues. Dental checkups can also include an examination of your tongue, throat, your face, head, and also your neck. This is done in order to determine any signs of problems like redness, swelling, or other oral health diseases.
- During your visit, your teeth will also be cleaned. Dental hygiene is important. Brushing and flossing can clean the plaque from your teeth, but you cannot remove tartar on your own. ‘Scaling’ will be done using a special tool in order to remove the tartar.
- Teeth Polishing. Once scaling is done, you can opt for your teeth to be polished. Usually, the dentist will use a paste to remove any stains on the surface of your teeth.
- This is the final step. The dental professional will be using a string of floss to make sure that the areas between your teeth are clean.
If you want to have a healthy and beautiful smile, then never forget to visit your dentist every six months, especially with children. Kids can easily take for granted oral health. But to avoid regrets in the future, make dental visits a habit. You might not know it, but you probably have hidden oral health issues that you are not aware of. It is best to prevent the inevitable from happening.