Kicksledding is pure joy, and turns nearly all sledders into mountain boys and girls. Gliding along on hard-packed snow or ice seems effortless (though itís actually good exercise), and you get to take your sweetheart or young one along too. As if that werenít good enough, kicksledding is also excellent aerobic exercise and a fantastic way to get a workout in the course of routine daily activities!
Snowpacked streets, back roads, and well-used snowmobile trails are perfect for kicksledding, particularly those with a gentle grade. A long, plowed driveway curling down a hillside Ė aaah. And, your dog can help when you attach the optional Mushing Package. It's not very tough to kicksled, either (see our Kicksled Primer for instructions).
Mountain Boy kicksleds are an artistic interpretation of a traditional, time-tested Nordic design.
The sled body is made of American white ash. We make the very comfortable slatted seat from many different hardwoods. Screws are stainless steel, and connecting bolts are high-grade anodized steel.
The runners are highly flexible tempered steel, with polished and waxed edges. Rings are welded to the front of each runner, making it simple to attach a bridle and tugline for dogsledding.
Multiple coats of UV-resistant, lead-free finish mean the sled can be left outside for extended periods without damage.
The handle on each sled is a specially chosen native willow branch, hand-carved for a perfect fit and polished to show its natural beauty. No two handles are alike, and each has its own unique look and feel.
Because each kicksled is a one-of-a-kind work, each is signed and numbered on the bottom by the sledmaker.
You can choose from two types of kicksled: the classic Silverton Kicksled, which seats one adult or child and our unique Double Kicksled, which seats two children and has bright red hand rails.
Folding down the kicksled is easy, and reduces the height of the sled from 36" to 7" -- just right for putting it on top of your car or into the attic for summer storage.Features:
- Traditional Norwegian kicksled, made by hand in Silverton, Colorado
- Birch handle and slats of beautiful hardwoods make each kicksled unique
- Stained red hand rails keep children in, and allow them to maintain a solid grip.
- Runners are powder-coated steel, and welded rings on the front of the runners make it easy to harness a dog;† we recommend our Mushing Package.
- One-year warranty.
- Dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 72" L.
- Weight limit: 300 lbs
- Ages 3+
- Hand Engraving: We can now engrave a child's name (or an adult's!) onto the sled. Lettering is 2" tall and runs up the length of the sled.