Can You Sleep While Wearing Dentures?
When you lose multiple teeth and are looking for a way to restore your smile, you probably are familiar with dentures. In the world of cosmetic dentistry, there are many teeth replacement options for patients with missing teeth to regain their beautiful smiles. Losing multiple teeth is one of the most severe problems you can ever experience, as it disturbs your everyday routine and results in damaging consequences. Fortunately, a professional cosmetic dentist can save your oral health by offering you the most suitable tooth replacement option and preventing further serious problems. Among all these different options, many patients are interested in dentures, especially ones with multiple missing teeth. Dentures have various benefits and can give you a smile you want, but it doesn’t mean you don’t have to take care of them. One of the best denturist in Toronto describes that when you decide to wear dentures to replace your lost teeth, you should know how to take care of them. Maintaining your dentures needs adequate awareness and knowledge you should learn from your cosmetic dentist. A common question that many denture candidates ask is about sleeping with dentures. It might be normal to keep them in for the first nights, but is it a good idea to wear them overnights all the time? The answer is no. Continue to read and understand why it’s better to avoid wearing denture overnight and other helpful information.
Why Is It Beneficial Not to Wear Dentures Overnight?
- Maintains a tight fit: if you don’t put your dentures away for the night, they will become looser than usual. As a result, the chance of slippage will increase, and it will be hard to chew and eat a specific range of foods.
- Prevents dental inflammation: the saliva flow will be negatively affected when you sleep with your dentures. It’s common to see the saliva flow blocked, especially in patients who aren’t used to keeping their dentures away at night. The blocked saliva flow can result in serious oral problems like denture stomatitis, a condition where the area around your dentures will be inflamed. In such cases, you must visit your cosmetic dentist as soon as possible.
- Prevents bone loss: if you think weaning your dentures all the time will help you prevent bone loss, you are wrong. The pressure caused by dentures should be eliminated at night to prevent bone resorption.
- Removes harmful bacteria: the harmful bacteria in your mouth will likely grow beneath your dentures. If you wear your dentures at night, you will later struggle with problems like bad morning breath and periodontal disease.
Frequently Asked Questions about Wearing Dentures at Nights
- Should I keep my dentures in water overnight?
As most cosmetic dentists recommend, it’s better to store your dentures in a glass of water or soaking solution at night. Your dentures should stay moist so they can keep their shape.
- What will happen if I sleep with dentures?
Sleeping with dentures will cause oral hygiene problems and serious dental emergencies.
- How long can I wear dentures?
According to what cosmetic dentists explain, you shouldn’t wear your dentures longer than 24 hours without cleaning them.
Maintain good oral health by visiting your cosmetic dentist regularly.