Nowadays, the cases of cancer are increasing with each passing day. There are many types of cancer, one of them is cervical cancer. A cervix is an important part of the female reproductive system. It is a lower part of the uterus which connects to the vagina. It is also known as the neck of the womb.
What is cervical cancer?
Cervical cancer is cancer that occurs in the cells of the cervix. Cervical cancer refers to the uncontrol growth of malignant cells. It starts when the cells of the cervix develop mutations in the structure of DNA. A healthy cervix allows the cervical cell to grow at a limited rate, and after some time the cells die. However, in cervical cancer, the cervical cells grow and multiply at an abnormal rate. It mostly occurs in women over the age of thirty years. There are many options available for cervical cancer treatment singapore.
What causes cervical cancer?
Most cervical cancers are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is a sexually transmitted infection. This virus can be transmitted to the cervix through sexual intimation. Women who are active in sexual intercourse, have multiple mating, or have a partner who had multiple intimations are at greater risk of cervical cancer. The immune system prevents this virus from causing harm however, this virus can survive for a year leading the cervix cell to grow at an unpredictable rate. The risk of cervical cancer can be decreased by taking the HPV infection. Vaccines are an effective solution against the HPV virus. It is advised to have regular pap smear tests and screening tests.
Other factors that increase the risk of cervical cancer are: –
- Smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Consuming too many birth control pills.
- Early pregnancy.
- Other transmitted diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, and herpes.
Symptoms of cervical cancer
This cancer shows no symptoms at an early stage. You should immediately consult a doctor if you have the following symptoms. There are many ways available for cervical cancer treatment in Singapore.
- Bleeding through the vagina or any abnormal discharge.
- Bleeding through the vagina after sexual intercourse.
- Pain in vagina during the sexual intercourse.
- Pelvic pain and lower back pain.
- Unclear urination and chronic constipation.
Types of cervical cancer
Cervical cancer is categorized into mainly three types.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: – It is the most common cervical cancer found in the cervix. This cervical cancer occurs in the lining of the cervix.
- Adenocarcinoma: – In this cervical cancer, the cervix cells start to form mucus.
- Mixed carcinoma: – This cancer has features of both squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma cancers.